When our little girl, Arianna Maria, was born my husband had 2 weeks paternity leave to help me out at home with the baby and also to get the chance to bond as a new family. We had a Moses basket in our bedroom and Arianna slept with us. We took turns in putting her to sleep and while one of us entertained her, the other was able to catch up with house chores or had a chance to rest. But for sure, both of us were tired and unorganised.
When Andrei was due to return to work we discussed our situation and decided that it’s best for us to sleep in separate bedrooms during week days, but the weekends to get together again. The reasons are very simple:
- Husband is more rested – Being a driver, Andrei needs to be focused at work and to avoid having an accident. At night, I do wake up to nurse and change the baby, but when we were in the same bedroom, Andrei woke up with us as well as he’s a light sleeper. We ended up being both tired, but he was prone to do mistakes at work. We decided it’s best for him to be able to rest when he needs to go to work.
- I am more relaxed – Despite the fact that I wake up at night, I do not mind. I do get tired, but when Andrei is at home with us, he spends more time with Arianna and lets me have a nap or do the things that are bringing me joy, so I am more relaxed
- Less fuss with organising – Andrei sleeps in our bedroom and I sleep in Arianna’s nursery (where we have a double bed as well). This way we don’t have to think about having a place for nappies and wipes and spare clean clothes for baby in our bedroom, as I have everything right where I need them
- Baby is more independent – As she’s already sleeping in her nursery, when she will be 6 months old or when she won’t wake up as much at night, it would be much easier to leave her alone overnight. She feels very comfortable in her nursery and associates the room with sleep already I know that maybe this plan is not gonna work for everyone, but for me and my family was very helpful and made everyone happy!
- The relationship between me and my husband is much more closer – This plan brought us closer together, despite the wall that stands between us, in the way that we respect and appreciate one another more now when we have the opportunity to do what we like and be the best parents that we can for our little girl. Our weekends are sacred for us as it’s our time together
Leave a comment down bellow with your experience and any other suggestions for first time parents.
See you in my next post on Friday, when I’m gonna share some fun activities to do with your newborn!